maandag 10 augustus 2015

Musical Monday: 5x buns

Last month I made a little body-part list that was very decent, didn't you think? I mean, since a few decades ago it hasn't been a big deal to see someone's legs and I don't think it has ever been an issue to talk about one's feet, although Shakira's converstation-seeking hips might have caused you some hot flashes.

I have noticed, lately there's a trend. Big butts have become some kind of fashion statement. And it's even more hip to sing about it. As a woman with a big butt, I don't particularly mind, though I never quite feel they're talking about my cellullitis-cratered buttocks. And as this seems to be body-fashion, it means in a few years my body will be quite out as well.

Caution, I might have been held at gunpoint when writing this, because I do like these songs, even though I know I shouldn't. 

Sir Mix A Lot - Baby Got Back

Yes, this one is old 24 years (though not the oldest). It's so old, it has become cool again. And if it isn't cool, at least it's cult. I've been aspiring a t-shirt with the text:  I like big books and I cannot lie, for a while, you know, because it's cool, and funny and it instantly gives you this song in your mental-player.
Although the song caused some controversy at the time, and was even briefly banned by MTV, there is a deeper meaning to the song, if you listen carefully, it's also about being confident in your body, even if it isn't in fashion.


Nicki Minaj - Anaconda



If I mention Baby Got Back I should also mention Anaconda, which heavily samples the first song. I even thought Sir Mix A Lot might have had a hand in the production of the song, but the mighty Internet that isn't the case, though Sir Mix A Lot does like the song.
Anaconda in this song isn't a snake, but another bodypart. Though the song is mostly about big butts, and Nicki Minaj is obviously very happy she spend money to enhance her.
I think, maybe, you do not like this song. Or this type of very nude video, but I strongly advise you to watch it and be amazed, lose your faith in humanity, spend the day watching all the parody-versions and keep awake at night because you can't get the lyrics out of your head.

This song, the video and the cover obviously was cause for yet another controversy, which Minaj responded to by showing underwear advertisements which looked rather similar to the cover and stating something like her sexuality was empowering for her.

The Black Eyed Peas - My Humps

Some kind of similar discussion could be said when talking about The Black Eyed Peas song My Humps which is about both a woman's assets, both in the front ánd the back, being used for her own advantage. Does that give her power, or not?
Anyways, I think this song itself sound rather good. So maybe don't think about that, don't listen to it's lyrics and just enjoy.

Jason Derula ft. Snoop Dogg  Wiggle

I find this song very funny. And it sound quite nice as well. Times called it one the worst song of 2014. The song and video do show the dude's side of using/showing/wiggling your bodyparts for some advantage. Please tell me if you still feel confident, empowered and non violated.



Destiny's Child - Bootylicious

Before Beyconé started doing the dry-hump moves in her choreography and wear clothes that were a billboard for whoever does her waxing, she was half of the more fun-loving group Destiny's Child. And they made a song called Bootylicious. And there was a video, in which we rarely see butts. Or in anyway too much skin. We see three confident women goofing around while having a dress-up party. Now THAT is empowering. 


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen