maandag 9 maart 2015

Musical Monday: Natalia Kills

You may have noticed I like female electro-pop music. I have no idea why I like music made by women better. Maybe it's just one of those things women can do better than men. ;) Or maybe electro-pop + women make a very strong and powerful combination. One of those strong women is Natalia Kills.

Born in Bradford, UK, by an Afro-Jamaican father and an Uruguayan mother, Natalia moved a lot with her family. When 9 she began acting, which was one reason why she studied classical drama at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. At the age of 14 she ran away from home. In an interview she said: 'I decided I could be whoever I wanted to be, and that I could be myself and I didn't want to be an actress anymore,' Around this time, she started writing songs. Her songs were used in movies and television shows. In 2003 she got signed by UK record label 'Adventures in Music'. She released her first single called Don't play nice under the stage name Verbalicious.



In 2007, while no longer having a record  deal, Natalia wrote and recorded the song Womannequin, which she uploaded to my space. The song was uploaded more than 2 million times, which gave her instant attention by record labels. She traveled to Los Angeles, where she met with several record companies. In the end she signed with will.i.am record group. It was her second album Trouble which gave her most recognition.

And indeed, Trouble is a very strong album. Exploring personal and sometimes controversial topics, with strong beats and Natalia's beautiful voice.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen