maandag 26 januari 2015

Musical Monday: 5x I know you

Last time I showed you some songs about some women we know nothing about. I hope you've enjoyed it. While I was writing that post, it came to my attention that some women mentioned in these songs were actual women, we do know, or at least somewhat. Famous women. It seems to be somewhat of a fashion statement: mentioning someone famous and/or iconic. It must have started during the Madonna/Britney music-love affair, in which both of the ladies wore t-shirts with the others name on it. Maybe mentioning someone cool, makes you cool.
Anyways, here is a little list of my favorites. Do you know any other?

Mika - Grace Kelly

Grace Kelly, the Hollywood actress from the '50s who eventually became the princess of Monaco, has been Mika's inspiration for this song. The chorus goes;


I tried to be like Grace Kelly
But all her looks were too sad
So I tried a little Freddie
I've gone identity mad!

The song is about trying to be who you are, while others expect you to be different. Either they perceive something different (which is the plotline of The Country Girl -  for which Kelly received an Oscar) or want you to be more like someone else in order to sell better. The story is that that last one, was actually Mika's inspiration when meeting with a producer who said he had to be more like Craig David. 

The lyrics of this song are truthful  and close to my heart. But in fact, the song is happy, and therefore deserves a space on this blog. No matter, what it is about.



Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera - Moves like Jagger

This song is hot. Even now. I have no idea what it is actually about, apart it seems like a little ode to Mick Jagger and his iconic moves (I did not know he had).
What I do know, is that this song was a number one hit for a rather long time, and in a lot of countries, giving Christina Aguilera some record, of being one of four singers to have no 1 singles in three decades (doesn't that make you feel old?)





Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood


I have absolutely no idea why this song is called Clint Eastwood, as his name isn't mentioned once in the song itself. Wikipedia tells be it is "due to its similarity to the theme music of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." What I do know is that the Gorillaz make good music. 




Duck Sauce - Barbra Streisand

I have no idea why Duck Sauce made a song which has literally only one thing to say: Barbra Streisand. To me, this makes the song one of the strangest I have ever heard. Yet, if you know me, that actually is a plus. The uplifting beats and it's dancebility (yes new word) make it even better.
The video shows a bit more why the title is about Streisand, it shows the kind of amosphere that somehow suits the name. Just listen and be oeh'd. 


Pharrell Williams - Marilyn Monroe



Such a lovely lovesong, this is, accompanied by Pharrells well known upbeat music. The lyrics go:

Not even Marilyn Monroe
Who Cleopatra pleas
Not even Joan of Arc
That don't mean nothin' to me


And if you don't want any of these ladies (although the sexiness of Joan of Arc kind of surpasses me), you know you're crazy in love...(but we'll save that for next month.)

Pharrell isn't the only one that has sung about Miss Monroe, Nicki Minaj also did recently. But I will spare you that one.

There are tons more musical references, even songs that, like these five, have titles all about someone famous. This surely has been a fun journey.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen